William B. Lewis
William is co-managing partner of the Morgan & Morgan Business Trial Group and manages the Firm’s West Palm Beach office. His practice is dedicated to complex business litigation and he has successfully represented clients in a wide-variety of industries and disputes.
William litigates business cases on a contingency-fee basis, representing companies and individuals with meritorious claims that have been damaged due to the misconduct of larger, wealthier, or insured parties. He is driven by the philosophy that justice requires cases to be decided on the merits, not by the size of a corporation or insurance company’s legal budget.
William has been named by U.S. News & World Report as one of The Best Lawyers in commercial litigation and professional malpractice. He has been honored as Florida Trend Magazine’s Florida’s “Legal Elite”; Florida Super Lawyers “Rising Star”; Palm Beach Illustrated’s “Top Lawyers”; and South Florida Business Journal’s 40 Under 40.
The true measure of his success, however, has been the results he has achieved for his clients. William is a proven trial lawyer, having won multiple jury trials, bench trials, and arbitrations in cases involving contracts, employment, partnerships, real estate, and securities, among others. He has also recovered millions of dollars through settlements in state and federal courts, as well as arbitration forums, throughout Florida.
William is the President-Elect of the University of Florida Law Alumni Council. He has been appointed to multiple terms on the Florida Bar’s Committee on Professionalism, and has been the chair of the Palm Beach County Bar’s Circuit Court Civil Committee and Business Litigation Committee. William is a frequent speaker on issues involving business and securities litigation, including to groups such as the American Bar Association and the Florida Justice Association.
Prior to joining the Business Trial Group, William prosecuted large-scale claims for a well-known securities and antitrust firm. He also interned at the U.S. Attorney’s Office and the State Attorney’s Office, where he first-chaired multiple jury trials. Before becoming an attorney, William received an MBA in finance and securities analysis and worked at a hedge fund.
- Business Tort Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Contract Litigation
- Employment Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Real Estate Litigation
- Securities Litigation
- Shareholder & Partnership Disputes
- University of Florida, Frederic G. Levin College of Law, Juris Doctorate, Cum Laude
- Florida Journal of Law and Public Policy, Board Member
- University of Florida Hough Graduate School of Business, MBA, Cum Laude
- Colgate University, B.A., Cum Laude
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- Florida Bar Association
- Committee on Professionalism
- Business Law Section
- Palm Beach County Bar Association
- Business Litigation Committee, Chair
- Circuit Court Civil Committee, Chair
- Judicial Relations Committee
- University of Florida Law Alumni Council
- Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association (PIABA)
- Forum Club of the Palm Beaches
PUBLICATIONS & RELATED ARTICLES
- Our next round of 40 Under 40 honorees for 2020, July 10, 2020
- Contingency Fees Allow Businesses to Effectively Pursue Claims During a Recession, June 11, 2020
- Business Trial Group Wins $400k FINRA Arbitration Award, April 16, 2019.
- Business Trial Group Wins $771k Verdict for Florida Family, April 24, 2018.
- Business Trial Group Wins Trial on Behalf of Estate, April 18, 2018.
- Seven Business Trial Group Attorneys Selected as Florida Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, June 21, 2017.
- William B. Lewis Appointed to Florida Bar Professionalism Committee, June 14, 2017.
- Business Trial Group Wins Verdict in Sales Commission Case, September 21, 2016.
- How Commercial Real Estate Brokers Can Recover Unpaid Commissions, June 13, 2016.
- Law Firm Hourly Rates Hit $2,000: How Can Businesses Afford High-Quality Representation?, June 1, 2016.
- Business Trial Group Helps Small Business Owner Win Jury Verdict Against Safeguard America, May 17, 2016.
- The Plausibility Standard as a Double-edged Sword: The Application of Twombly and Iqbal to Affirmative Defenses, The Florida Bar Journal, June 2010, at 77.